Monday, January 23, 2012

Snow Day!

So, Sunday was the day! After living here his entire life James was going to get his chance to go sledding! He was so excited. I told him to start getting dressed in all of his layers, but before the rest of us had a chance to even begin to get ready here’s James with all of his layers, including snow pants, jacket, scarf, hat, and mittens. I tried to explain that we weren’t leaving yet so he would get hot but that really didn’t matter, he wasn’t going to listen.
The rest of use bundled up, Lucas included and we headed out.

Once we got to the hill, I got the exciting job of pulling Lucas around in his little toboggan. It’s one of the ones with a seat where you can belt them in. It was very handy for getting him all the way out to the hill. Once we were there he wasn’t much interested in it though.
This was another first also, Lucas’ first time actually in the snow. As soon as we sat him in the sleigh he was reaching for the fluffy white stuff. Unfortunately, this was when Nick was trying to put his mittens back on!

We trudged ourselves to the hill and James was off up the stairs with Daddy in tow. He was so excited and I was excited for him. Lucas decided he wanted out of the sleigh, so I let him out to wander a little. This of course meant that he wanted to wander right toward the bottom of the hill where people were flying fown the hill at a million miles an hour. Nick came up with the idea of placing him about 20 feet away and then letting him walk back to
to us. That worked until about the third turn. That was when he decided, “forget it, I’m going the other way then”.     
After I ran after him a few times he then decided that sitting in the snow was a better option. Not on the top of my list of things to do but he was layered so I really didn't mind. I was laughing so hard I almost had frozen tears running down my face when he attempted to get back. Much like a rolly polly he kind of fell over, rolled one way and then the other finally getting a hold of the slippery ground and began to work his way up using his forehead to balance.

All in all we had a lot of fun. I was freezing since I left home without my scarf and hat. Yes, I know. Both the kids had so much fun it was well worth the cold to see the smiles on their faces.

Since the best layed plans always have some lumps, I have now compiled a list for any future trips to the sledding hill
What you need for sledding...
*      Long Johns
*      Jeans
*      Long sleeve shirts
*      Undershirts
*      Snow pants
*      Coats
*      Scarves
*      Hats
*      Mittens/Gloves
*      Sleds (Something I could live without!)
*      Portable Cabin with inboard heater (For Mommy!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment